Certain medical conditions in older adults can affect balance. The U Step Walking Stabilizer is designed to provide guided assistance to seniors and the elderly who may suffer from neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, ALS, MSA, PSP and Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
The 3-dimensional Innovative brake system helps to control gait and prevent falls thereby making the walker the ideal candidate to improve the mobility and quality of life of seniors and the elderly with neurological disorders and balance issues.
Table of Contents
Understanding the U Step Walking Stabilizer Design
GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
The patented U-shaped base and stable foundation of the U Step 2 Walker is unique. Users quickly realize that the experience is quite different from pushing a typical walker as they feel more safe and secure as the U-Step 2 encircles and moves with the user only if they move.
Check the Manufacturers Manual to identify the different parts of the U Step 2 Walker
Most individuals can safely walk three to four times faster using the U-Step Walker 2, compared to using a standard walker. The wheel configuration allows the user to turn around easily and safely in an area as small as 29 inches, and at only 22 inches wide, users can easily walk through narrow doorways.
The patented spring-loaded front caster system glides easily over uneven surfaces preventing sudden uncomfortable jolts to the user and eliminating energy that would have been required to lift the walker over small obstacles.
This Walking Stabilizer can be easily folded by lifting the release lever by the seat and pulling up on the seat support.
The braking system is easy to operate and allows the user to be in complete control of its operation as the U-Step 2 will not roll unless the user is ready to start walking. Here is how this works:
Lightly squeezing either brake release lever will cause the walker to roll along as the user takes steps. Once the user releases the lever, the unit will stop immediately. This safety feature is very helpful on occasions when standing up from a chair because it will not allow the walker to roll away from the user.
To move forward, the user will press down on the left or right release lever of the brake handle. This is especially helpful for users lacking the hand strength to squeeze a standard hand brake.
Alternatively, to move forward, the user will flip the back rest over and press down on it to release the brakes for walking. This is also beneficial for those lacking hand strength. The brakes can be easily engaged (locked) by flipping the back rest forward.
Unlike other rolling walkers, you can adjust the rolling speed of the U-Step 2. Many seniors and the elderly frequently complain that wheeled walkers roll too fast for them. This is why the device has been equipped with a control for setting the rolling resistance to a comfortable level.
Features of the U Step Walking Stabilizer
Product Features and Specifications
- Weight Capacity: 375 lbs.
- Product Weight: 21 lbs.
- Padded Seat Width: 19″
- Seat Depth: 8″
- Recommended User Height 5’1″ – 6’1″
- Hand brakes
- Adjustable Height. Seat-to-Floor Height: 22″
- Overall Walker Width: 23″
- Overall Walker Length: 25″
- Ergonomically positioned comfort grip handle bars
- Backrest: Adjustable with Three positions
- Max. Handle Height 38.5″
- Min. Handle Height 28″
- Number of Wheels 7
- High impact non-marking wheels (4″)
- Spring loaded front wheel
- Tension adjustment knobs
- Basket – Included
- Accessory – Laser projected red line (optional)
Available Models of the U Step Walking Stabilizer Walker
The U 2 Walker comes in 3 models –
• Standard (for heights between 5’2” -6’1”)
• Small (for heights between 4’3”-5’2”)
• Tall (for heights between 6’2” – 6’8”)
Dimensions by Model / Size
Standard (5’2”-6’1” tall) 22” seat height; hand grips up to 38.5”,
Small (4’3”-5’2” tall) 19” seat height; hand grips up to 35.5”,
Tall (6’2”-6’8” tall) 22” seat height; hand grips up to 41.5”
Benefits of the U Step Walking Stabilizer
- Correction of Posture : The U-shaped frame surrounds center of gravity of a user to encourage a more upright posture and reduce the tendency to shuffle.
- Provide Stability: The U Step 2 Walker is designed to provide greater postural stability helping to prevent and reduce falls. Users also feel safer because of the U-shaped design that envelopes their frame while walking.
- Increased Maneuverability: The U-Step also boasts a unique wheel configuration, which enables it to have a very tight turning circle (29 inches/74cm) making it more maneuverable in small spaces such as toilets. The patented spring-loaded front caster wheel system glides easily over uneven surfaces. The U-Step can be used inside or outside
- Operation of Special Brake Mechanism: Beneficial for users lacking the hand strength to squeeze a standard hand brake.
Things To Note – Is the U Step Walking Stabilizer Right for Me?
There are a few important considerations that may influence the decision about the suitability of the U Step Walking Stabilizer for a user.
- The U Step 2 Walker is larger and heavier than traditional rollators and may not be suitable for smaller, frail elderly users or others lacking the strength to maneuver a larger mobility device.
- Compared to other walkers and rollators, it is obvious that the U Step 2 Walker Stabilizer is a bit pricey. However, the price reflects that it is a specialized mobility product designed to address neurological balance issues. The walker is designed and produced to be durable because of the added quality, comfort and safety elements not found in many other walkers.
Conclusion – U Step Walking Stabilizer
The U Step Walking Stabilizer is a revolutionary product designed to enhance the quality of life of users experiencing neurological conditions. This article reviews the benefits and potential concerns (for the mobility device.
Furthermore, truly understanding the differences between the 3 models (Small, Standard and Tall) will assist you to decide which model is best suited for your needs based on the product specifications.
It is always recommended that you have a discussion with the doctor for additional insights. Or, maybe this walker has already been recommended to you, in which case you are simply doing your research prior to purchase.
Hope the article was helpful. Leave a comment below.
- Poor Balance in Seniors – Why Oh Why?
- What is Arthritis. Focus on Seniors
- Arthritis and Insomnia. A Sure Recipe for Senior Falls
- How to Choose A Rollator – Benefits for These Medical Conditions
In-Step U Step 2 Walking Stabilizer Manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1478510/In-Step-Mobility-U-Step-2-Walking-Stabilizer.html